Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The busier I am the faster time flies.... 

It's been three weeks and a lifetime of hanging out the upstairs window watching the mail truck move along the nearby blocks in town.   Pondering the possibility of the US Postal Service forgetting our address,  I played with the idea of standing outside with a megaphone announcing my presence....but that was apparently not needed as the mailman has started waving at me as he passes on the other side of the block   What is really cool is that he no longer carries a taser when he walks up the step. We've settled into a safe routine of permanent committment.
He may even like me..he thanked me when I told him last week that I had been not only praying for letters and news...but also had prayed for snow (long story....).  Can you imagine....a mailman thanked me for the snow!

Stalking has proven worthy as we've had three letters plopped into the box in the past couple of weeks.  One was a brief explanation of how to address letters...with a sad caveat about the condition of the handwriting...
"been doing pushups in frozen sand, so fingers are frozen". 

Do you suppose his drill sargeant would mind moving over while I bring him some hand warmers?

Mealtimes are FIVE minutes from beginning to end.   Do you know what I can do in five minutes?
Absolutely nothing.   Good grief, it's taken me longer to write this paragraph than that!
Breakfast is ok, eggs, pancakes and french toast. 
Lunch and dinner leave much to be desired....once eaten tuna pasta...oh my.

After I boot the drill sargeant out of the way, I'll be heading for the kitchen.

We've learned about a 36 hour "local" pass he'll be granted in April.  Hotel is reserved as all he wants is a comfortable bed, and food....and to be sure we got the picture, he listed the food he would like us to have prepared and ready....
Are you ready for this?

Steak, Subway Chicken Bacon Ranch sandwich, Wendy's Baconator, pizza,  McDonald's Double Cheeseburgers,  Monster, Mountain Dew, chocolate cake, fudge and reese's.
Good gravy!  The food budget will be bigger than the cost of our flights down and my cholesterol levels rise by the moment. 

It's hard to read about gas chambers and multi mile marches, pushups in the snow and night time chores that steal sleep all but 1 out of 4 nights.

Should I mail him his favorite pillow?

Hand deliver wool socks?

Abscond with  the drill sergeant's alarm clock?

There has been a virus taking many of them down, so in lieu of church last Sunday they were granted an hour off in the barracks.  Michael chose that time to write some letters home.  He says he is reading his bible every night before sleep, and he really wanted to send information home.  Hey Mikie!  You remember us!

I'll have to remember to take antibioitics and some Nyquil with me too.
Oh...and his blanket.  A set of warm  fuzzy slippers. 

Or maybe I'll just stay here and wait.  Breathless and busy.  Staying in touch with each day, writing letters and hoping for news.  Hesitant calm of a fretful parent.

I'll put his pillow in the truck just in case.... 

Trusting that the next 6 weeks will soar past in both Georgia and Michigan.

Loving from afar with the prayerful passing of time.





 





 

2 comments:

  1. Betcha those MREs deliver to him before boot camp look mighty tasty now. It is hard to believe that five minutes to eat provides any kind of nourishment. I would have to wonder if the cooks spend any time making the food tasty since the soldier don't have any time to savor their culinary efforts. I would guess Michael is looking forward to the heartburn he will get on his 36-hour pass.

    It good to hear that Michael is assimilating well into his life as a soldier, even though his mom is not. ;-) Although, I'd hate to be the drill sergeant taking on a mom intent on delivering a pillow and hand warmers. Maybe if he keeps a snake in a bag with him just in case.

    Well, boot camp will be over before you know it and the first challenge of many challenges to come will be completed. I'll keep Michael and his family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping Michael in our prayers! hang in there MOM! You'll see him soon. We'll be seeing YOU in June! (Maybe end of May)

    ReplyDelete